Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Transformational Groups

Honesty is a good thing. Being honest, I can tell you I really think that our brother, Ed Stetzer, is over exposed these days.  Especially if you follow him on Twitter, the pace seems frenetic.  Frenetic pace and accurate research don’t match, for me.  Yes, I know that he has researchers who are doing the majority of the research, but still…

Being honest, I can tell you that my attitude toward Eric Geiger was defined by Simple Church. For me, Simple Church was too simplistic to define the organism, the living thing, that is God’s church.  It ignored the fact that we don’t just live in intentionality; we don’t just live in the midst of purpose.  We do things like cheer for the University of Memphis: mainly a hopeless exercise, but I enjoy doing it. Churches do things because, as living organisms, we enjoy doing them.

Based on these attitudes, I came to Transformational Groups expecting little.  Instead, I gained much.  In fact, I gained too much.  I gained regret that I had not had this in front of me a little over 9 years ago when I began my last pastorate. 

I’m going to recommend that you run out and get this book, pastors.  OK, I know you’re probably going to order it online…but if you called Amy at our local Lifeway I know she would do her best to get you a discount and get the book for you (yes, shameless plug for local Lifeway). 

The reason for getting the book is that it provides solid analysis both on the why and the how of doing small groups.  It gets to the fundamental issue.  The issue is not church growth; the issue is kingdom growth.  The issue is not to add numbers to the bottom line; the issue is to make disciples who effectuate change in a lost world.  How does this happen?  In just a second I’m going to give you a quote that defines the book, but it needs a setup.  The quote contrasts two ways of doing small groups.  The first way is any group that is centered around fellowship and increasing the participation of attenders.  The second is, for me, more biblical and more radical.  It is what I wish I had done.  The quote comes from the position of a pastor who wants more.  Here it is: “It is our goal for every person in this church to become a mature disciple of Jesus Christ.  This happens when you are in a group with other growing disciples where you are learning the Bible together, holding one another accountable to spend time with God daily, and living a lifestyle that looks more and more like the lifestyle of Jesus.”

Be blessed as you seek Him today.  I hope you sense the need to read  Transformational Groups.


No comments:

Post a Comment